Sunday, September 13, 2009

Weekend cooking...



As a note of explanation, I do most of my cooking on the weekend because my weeks are way too crazy to have time to cook proper meals. Anyway, I decided to try this recipe. I managed, through extremely good luck, to pick up a bottle of truffle oil at TJ Maxx, of all places, for a reasonable price. I actually sprayed canola oil on the onions/potatoes, rather than adding olive oil, as the truffle oil added later on is responsible for the flavor, not the olive oil. Otherwise I more or less tried to follow the recipe.

I was quite happy with how it turned out, and the recipe fit well in my cast-iron pan. It takes a long time to cook, but I've been baking other things, so I just had it sitting in the oven as I did the rest of my cooking. (This meant I used a lower temperature, though, which is undoubtedly why it took so long to cook).

One of the aforementioned "other cooking" recipes I was making was the soft chocolate chip cookie recipe from the King Arthur's Flour baking book. I made these, I hasten to add, not for my own consumption (I'm on a healthy eating kick right now), but for a friend who had a really rotten week last week (cue "I hate men" song here). I have to say that I wasn't super-happy with this recipe; it's simply way too sweet for my taste. Normally I cut at least 25% of the sugar from any cookie recipe, but I decided not to do so this time. In the future, if I make these again, I will definitely decrease the sugar.