Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pumpkinmuffingoodness




In my family we have a tradition of eating pumpkin ice-cream with hot fudge sauce. Not necessarily an intuitive pairing, but it's incredibly tasty nonetheless. This means that I try to add chocolate to any pumpkin recipe I can, with the possible exception of pumpkin pie because you just can't mess with tradition too much without being in danger of being stabbed to death with salad forks by angry traditionalists. If you don't like pumpkin and chocolate then I suppose (she conceded grudgingly) you could leave out the chocolate chips.

I made these tasty pumpkin muffins to celebrate the fact that the weather has finally cooled down and I'm no longer in danger of spontaneous combustion and/or melting. I very loosely based the recipe off of this one. However, it's sufficiently changed that I think I'd better list the ingredients anyway...

Mix in separate bowl:

1.5 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Combine until well blended:

3/4 C brown sugar
1 C canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp cardamom
2 eggs worth of Ener-G egg replacer (you could use eggs, but I don't if I can get away with using the egg replacer)
1/4 C oil

Stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until just blended. Add in several handfuls of chocolate chips because everything is better with chocolate chips. Spoon into medium-sized muffin tin (should come out to exactly 12 muffins if you haven't eaten too much batter). Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (my oven tends to run hot, test muffins by sticking something into the center. With the exception of melted chocolate chips it should come out clean if they're done). I use a sharp knife but I understand that non-grad students use a "cake tester," whatever the hell that is. Eat tasty muffins.